Spring/Summer 2018 Newsletter
Dues are payable through April (form enclosed). Payment can be made at the March meeting or mail to Sue Hanson, 400 E. Eleanor St, Thornton, IL 60476. Please encourage your friends to join.
We have several new members and are happy to welcome Dan Lamoureux, Carla Gini, Jim Lamoureux and Rob Ferguson.
Matchbooks from Glenwood Oaks, Bottoms Up, Poor Richards
Thornway Hardware yardstick
Illinois Brewing Co. Beer Keg
Frederick’s Brewing flyswatter
History of South Suburban College
Thornton Pharmacy coupons
Monsma Oil pens
Thornton Police patches 1980-1990
Wolcott School magnet
Book “The Hoxie Site Occupation Area” by Doug Jackson
Children’s items from the Klemstein home
Illinois Brewing Co. Pennantglass
MUSEUM HOURS AND DOCENTS:
The museum is open the 1st & 3rd Saturdays of January through April from 1-3 p.m., and May through October, every Saturday, 1-3 p.m. All members are asked to serve one Saturday through the season. New members are assigned to serve with seasoned members. Booklets covering early history have been prepared to help docents answer guests’ questions. Copies are available to anyone who would like one.
Meeting Dates & Programs
(All meetings are held at the Thornton Historical Society museum unless otherwise noted)
March 26, 7:00PM: Program Glenwood Academy (formerly Glenwood School for Boys/Glenwood Manual Training School) presented by Mary Hollis
April 19, 6:00PM: Historical Society Board Meeting (Board members only)
April 23, 7:00PM: Election of Officers, Program: Museum Scavenger/Trivia Game
April 26, 9:30AM: Museum Cleaning Day
May 5, 1:00PM - 3:00PM: Museum opens for the season
May 8, 9:30AM: Historical Societies Roundtable Meeting
May 14: Annual Dinner at Glenwood Oaks – Dinner served at 6 p.m. $10.00/person. Menu choices: Roast Sirloin with mushroom sauce; Fried Shrimp; Chicken Picante. Dinner reservations mail to Marge Loitz, Unit 310, 410 E. Margaret St., Thornton or pay at meetings.
June 1, 4:00PM: Setup at St. Paul’s church for quarry tour
June 2: Quarry Tour Leaving from St. Paul’s church
September 22: Illinois Bicentennial Celebration – Details will be forthcoming for this Village wide event.
The Society has lost long-time member Loretta Manns. We extend our sympathy to her family.
Loretta Diekelman Manns was born November 24, 1923 and was the youngest of 9. She lived above her father’s butcher shop/grocery store at 114 East Margaret, across from the Village Hall. Loretta worked in the family business and told stories of traveling to Chicago Heights in a little Ford truck to buy supplies for the store.
She attended Thornton Public School and Thornton Township High School. She was married to Bernard Manns for 44 years until his death in 1987. They had two daughters, two grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren. Loretta’s talents and dedication to the Thornton Historical Society will be missed.
DIGGING INTO THORNTON'S PAST: STOLZENBACH’S MEAT MARKET
John Stolzenbach was an early Thornton merchant who ran a butcher shop/meat market at 106 S. William Street. He came to Thornton in 1865 and is listed in the 1870 and 1880 censuses as a butcher. This building is actually the second on that site, the first having burned down.
Stolzenbach was active on the School Board and died in 1914. In 1940 George and Marie Melder operated Melder’s Tavern on that location but they may have owned it previous to that. The bar had a nickelodeon, and the Melders lived in a small house behind the bar.
Alex & Jane Murawski took over and it was known as Janealex Tavern. They had a small banquet hall in the basement and sh fries on Friday. Not much is known about the next owner but it was called Shorty’s. In 1973 Mrs. Boskovich, along with her son Pete (Mousey), opened it up as a restaurant and tavern called Ma’s Kitchen – “Ma” ran the kitchen during the day
and it was a very popular tavern.
They sold to Mel Wilkins and Rich Jacabucci who changed the name to Ziggy’s. The Village did not care for Ziggy’s clientele and the building was ultimately demolished.
If you have any stories or photos of this building please share them with the Historical Society.