MEMBERSHIP: Membership renewal is from January to March 1st. Please encourage your friends to join. We are always happy to have new members. Our bylaws have been changed to reflect an increase in membership dues as follows:
Individual Member: $15
Life Member: $150
NEW MEMBERS: We are happy to welcome Jim & Ellen Daniels.
· Barber tools belonging to Chester Macniak – donor Christine Donnelly
· Thornton carnival cane – donor Christine Donnelly
· Various photos and information – donor Owen Dejanovich
· Various items from the Stonerock family
MUSEUM HOURS & DOCENTS:
The museum is open the First and Third Saturdays January-April from 1:00pm to 3:00m or by appointment. Call 708-877-6569.
MEETING DATES & PROGRAMS:
November 12: 6:00p.m. – Heritage Dinner at St. Paul Church, 508 Chicago Road. The Society furnishes turkey and members bring a dish to share
December 5: 2:00 - 4:00p.m. – Holiday Open House at the museum. Santa, sing-along and lots of Goodies! Aways an enjoyable time. If you could provide some cookies, candy, etc. please call Marge at 708-877-6569. This year we will be having a bazaar where you can purchase unique items such as Thornton Coverlets, T-shirts, Quarry books, notecards and much more. They make great Christmas gifts!
DONORS: Our sincere thanks to the following people and businesses have made donations to the Historical Society this year: Andy Howell, Joyce Becker, Anna Blank, Boz Hot Dogs, DelMar Builders, Washington Memorial Gardens, Debbie Lamoureux, Kathy Madden, Joe & Ruth Mokry, Beverly Mueller, Debbie Paris, Jeff Perry, Quarry Restaurant, Richard Schickel, Marti Thompson, Thornton Distilling Co., Thornton Lions Club, Phyllis Van Prooyen, Bea Yavenue
NEWS: Please check our Historical Society website for news, www.thorntonilhistory.com. Questions, comments or photos please email email@example.com. For those of you on Facebook, the Historical Society has a page and there are also many old photos posted on a page called The Real Thornton, Illinois on Facebook.
Get in the holiday spirit and enter our raffle to win either a $50 gift card for “The Well” at the Distillery or a bottle of their Dead Drop American Pecan Whiskey. Both make great Christmas gifts. Many thanks to Andy from the Thornton Distillery for donating these items. Tickets are $1 each or 6/$5. Proceeds benefit the Thornton Historical Society.
VILLAGE OF THORNTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY
2022 CALENDAR OF EVENTS
· January 11 - 9:30 a.m. Historical Societies’ Round Table Meeting
· January 20 - 6:00 p.m. Board Meeting
· February 28 - 7:00 p.m. General Meeting – Illinois Trivia Party with Elaine Egdorf
· March 28 - 7:00 p.m. General Meeting – Program: “Watseka” by George Pat Godfrey
· April 14 - 6:00 p.m. Board Meeting
· April 25 - 7:00 p.m. General Meeting – “Foods of our Forefathers” by Peg Kapustiak
· May 7 - 1-3 p.m. Museum open every Saturday through October
· May 9 - 5:30 p.m. Annual Dinner Meeting
· May 10 - 9:30 a.m. Historical Societies’ Round Table Meeting
· May 19 - 6:00 p.m. Special Board Meeting
· June 3 - 4:00 p.m. Set up for Quarry Tour
· June 4 - 8:30 a.m. Spring Quarry Tour
· July 21 - 6:00 p.m. Board Meeting
· August 22 - 7:00 p.m. General Meeting – Program: “Pullman” by Ken Schoon
· September 13 - 9:30 a.m. Historical Societies Round Table Meeting
· September 26 - 7:00 p.m. General Meeting – Program: “Catch the Twain” by Warren Brown
· September 30 - 4:00 p.m. Set up for Quarry Tour
· October 1 - 8:30 a.m. Fall Quarry Tour
· October 20 - 6:00 p.m. Board Meeting
· October 24 - 7:00 p.m. General Meeting – Program: “Truth Behind Chicago Folklore - Legends & Haunts” by Ray Johnson